Thursday 16 June 2011

Paolo Nutini Tour, Sunderland: The Empire Strikes Back

Well, this took a little while but let me tell you about Sunderland.

Woke up in York of course with a massive hangover. Matt went to pick up the car and I went and had the biggest breakfast I could find. Nice cafe, nice staff...ah Yorkshire. My mate took me to see this David Hockney piece being exhibited in the York Art Gallery, it's called Bigger Trees Near Water. A view from York Gallery...



We left York and had a very quick drive to Sunderland. All the way I really felt like eating MacDonald's don't know why. We got there anyway and went to have a look around. Best dressing rooms and great venue. Sunderland Empire is pretty amazing...and very clean. Silly detail I know but damn it's a clean venue.



I was pretty impressed with it any.

After soundcheck I couldn't resist the urge for MacDonald's any longer and Matt was starting to feel it to.  So we had a nice walk about Sunderland trying to find one. I didn't realise we were so close to the sea. Afterwards we went to catering for salads and desert.I like to eat a lot on tour.

Show time then. Matt's parents came to this one because they live relatively close by. The audience in Sunderland were most certainly the rowdiest and most talkative so far (in the right places of course). It's always nice to talk to people and have them talk back. They were fun and inviting and the set went a little bit too fast. I slipped Regina Spektor's Sea Song in there which seemed to work well along with stuff from the album, Down to the River, A FREAK A etc and like I say, suddenly we were off stage again.



Off we went backstage. Paolo and band were having a jammy randomness moment which sounded pretty cool. We went off to find Matt's family and watch the show. It was a great one. Unbelievable cheers and involvement from the Sunderland crowd, who were on their feet the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment